Discover a world of flavor with this quick weeknight meal ready in under 30 minutes. One pan Moroccan Chicken and Rice with Chickpeas is a comforting dinner that comes in handy when you need a win.
It’s packed with healthy proteins like chicken, Chickpeas and spinach. We had this for dinner last week, and when shared it on my Instagram story asking if I should share the recipe, the respond was a resounding yes. As a result, I created today’s post. By the way, if you’re not following me on IG you totally should – AfropolitanMom. Long time readers, already know that I’m obsessed with one pot meals, they are often busting with flavors and they make great leftovers. Hello, next day lunch. It can be served alone or with salad.
One Pan Moroccan Chicken and Rice with Chickpeas
There are lots of ways to make this and if you look closely, it’s vert similar to an old favorite on here – One pot Chicken and Rice. Added a little twist by adding spinach and switching up the seasoning a bit. Although, my girlfriend said this wasn’t truly authentic to Morocco because I omitted the raisins, apricot, and olives but I beg to differ. Even without these three ingredients it’s still delicious. If bland is what you’re looking for this isn’t it. You will make this recipe, again and again. To start though you will need a non-stick pan sturdy enough to handle it. I hope you will enjoy this meal as much as my family did, and if you happen to make it, please come back and let me know.
Looking for some other easy chicken recipes like this One Pan Moroccan Chicken and Rice with Chickpeas?
Then check out my:
- Kuku Paka – East African-Style Chicken Curry
- Slow-Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Chili Coconut Chicken
- One Pot Chicken Pasta
- Honey Cajun Chicken Thighs
Moroccan Chicken and Rice with Chickpeas
Here is a tried and true recipe to add to your dinner rotation.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ lb. bone-in chicken thighs, cut into halves
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 packet chicken bouillon
- 1 14.5 oz. cans diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 10 oz. chopped spinach, thawed, water squeezed out
- In a medium to large size non stick skillet, heat oil and add garlic, onion and chicken thighs skin-side down and sear for about 7-8 minutes
- Using a tong, remove chicken and add tomatoes, rice, and thyme, chicken broth, and chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, add chicken thighs, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minute, add chickpeas, spinach the last 10 minutes
- Serve warm alone or with salad