Food & Recipes
Easy Salsa Chicken (Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker)
This Salsa Chicken recipe is hands down the easiest recipe shared on here, use it with your favorite salsa and you will have a delicious and flavorful dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Salsa Chicken
What’s one thing that makes this recipe stand out? It’s the fact that I used homemade salsa. Some days, I can’t be bothered with dinner, this was one of those days. I needed dinner on the table but didn’t want to put in much effort, this Salsa Chicken came in handy. It’s easy to put together and no one will know that it required minimal effort.
If you haven’t tried chicken salsa then you’re in for a treat. I opted to use a pressure cooker for this recipe because it helps in making the chicken juicy and fork-tender.
To start, you need about 5 minutes of prep time if using store-bought salsa, because we are using an instant pot, it cuts down the cooking time in half. Literally, with only a few ingredients, you can have this easy weeknight dinner in a pinch. So if you have some chicken breast on hand, give this recipe a try, and turn your boring dinner options into flavorful and delicious chicken salsa.
If you prefer a healthy Salsa Chicken, then make your own homemade salsa so you can control the ingredients and salt content. Since I used homemade salsa in this recipe, the seasoning for the chicken itself was kept to a minimum because the salsa was already seasoned and the chicken will get its flavor mostly from the salsa, hence the name.
My girlfriend once made a delicious recipe of salsa chicken with cream cheese, and OMG, it was really good. I need to convince her to share that recipe with me because it needs a spotlight.
What goes in Salsa Chicken
Here’s what you need for this Salsa Chicken:
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless, chicken breast. I prefer fresh but I’ve used frozen before, so either one works.
- Salsa: An essential ingredient in this recipe. You can use your favorite store-bought salsa, I used opted to use some leftover homemade salsa.
- Chicken Seasoning: I wanted something other than salt, and since I was using homemade salsa, the chicken would absorb most of the flavor from the salsa, however, I wanted the chicken to season the chicken lightly.
- Black Pepper: I opted to use freshly-cracked black pepper. It’s fresh and fragrance, and it adds a bit of kick.
How to make Salsa Chicken in an Instant Pot
Salsa chicken in the Instant Pot is quite easy. You have almost no prep time and it’s easy and can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Season both sides of the chicken generously
- Add chicken to the pressure cooker.
- Top with your desired salsa sauce.
- Set the Instant Pot to PRESSURE and let it cook on HIGH for about twenty minutes. If using a slow cooker, cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Using a fork shredded chicken to the desired size
- Mix well and transfer to the platter
What to Serve with Salsa Chicken
If you want a low-carb serving option, then I will suggest you enjoy the salsa chicken by itself. If you want, you can put it in a corn taco shell or flour tortilla and top with tomatoes, cheese, salsa, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, and avocado for a delightful dinner. Chicken salsa and rice is also a great combination, we enjoy it often and you can also pair it with veggies to have salsa chicken tacos as we did with this recipe. Need another serving idea – You can also serve it with coconut curry rice, black beans, sweet corn, and avocado to make a chicken salsa bowl.
Looking For More Delicious Chicken Recipes? Try These:
- Easy Chicken Stir Fry
- Sweet and Spicy Jalapeño Chicken Wings
- Honey Cajun Chicken Thighs
- Chili Coconut Chicken
Please don’t forget to come back and leave a comment, to let me know if you enjoy this recipe.
You can FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, or FACEBOOK for behind-the-scenes action and delicious food.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 tbsp chicken seasoning
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Pour 1 cup of salsa into your pressure cooker.
- Place your chicken breasts on top of the salsa in the instant pot. Season one side with 1/2 of the chicken seasoning and black pepper.
- Flip your chicken over and season with the remaining amount of chicken seasoning and black pepper.
- Close your instant pot by twisting the lid on in a locked position. Close the valve by pushing it away from you. Set your pressure cooker to high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once your pressure cooker has stopped cooking, allow it to release naturally for about 10 minutes. After you released it actually for 10 minutes, manually release it by using a hot pad or towel and bring the valve toward you.
- Using two forks, or a hand mixer, shred your chicken inside the instant pot so that’s the remaining seasoning of the salsa will continue to mix in with the chicken.