This easy oven-baked BBQ Chicken is amazingly delicious, super comforting, and full of flavor.
While many things are uncertain right now, a few things still keep me calm, and that’s my family and the fact that we are healthy and, most importantly – we are spending this time together. Being home all day has given me a chance to cook three times a day, which means more opportunity to get creative in the kitchen by using up everything in our pantry. An easy weeknight dinner of oven-baked barbecue chicken ready in less than an hour with the delicious taste of summer right from your oven, no need for a grill.
How to make Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
Making oven-baked barbecue chicken is easier than you think. The key is choosing the right type of meat. I prefer dark meat hence the chicken thighs, but the recipe works for just about any kind of meat, including shrimp.
Season chicken generously with EVOO, chicken bullion, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and leave to marinate for 30 minutes or longer if time permits.
In a medium heat simmer, ketchup, brown sugar, red pepper paste, distilled white vinegar, and finely grated garlic for about 5 minutes. Remove from stove and set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
Arrange chicken in a baking dish, skin side down and bake for 40 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165°F
Can you make this BBQ chicken crockpot?
Yes, you can make this bbq chicken in a crockpot. I like to sear the chicken first before putting it in the crockpot and tossing in all the ingredients. Searing the chicken, skin down, preferably adds a different element. To top it off, when the chicken is done, remove from crockpot and put it under the broiler for 5 minutes to crispy up the skin.
Top tips for delicious BBQ Chicken
- Use dark meat, preferably chicken thighs instead of white meat – breast, tenders, or wings.
- Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up
- Marinade chicken longer than 10 minutes to allow the flavor to penetrate
- Brush the chicken with the bbq sauce during the final 10 minutes of cooking for optimal flavor
- Broil an additional 2 minutes, if you want the skin to be nice and crispy
What to serve with BBQ Chicken
For more oven baked chicken recipes:
Gadget You Need to Make Baked Chicken
FoodSaver Vacuum Seal Quick Marinator, 2.25 Quarts – T02-0050-05Basting Brush Silicone Marinade Meat Glazing Oil Brush Heat ResistantUSA Pan 1604CR Quarter Sheet Baking Pan and Bakeable Nonstick Cooling
Recipe for BBQ Chicken
- 3 lb bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp EVOO oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne, optional
- 1 packet of chicken bullion or 1 cube
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1½ cups of ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup red pepper paste
- 4½ tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 425
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry
- Rub chicken generously with EVOO, season with chicken bullion, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes while you make the BBQ sauce
- Bring to a boil in a medium saucepan - garlic, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and red pepper paste. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, transfer ½ cup of the sauce and reserve for serving and basting.
- Transfer the chicken onto a large baking dish, and bake for 40 minutes until thermometer reaches 180
- Remove the chicken and bast generously with the BBQ sauce. Put it back in the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes to allow the sauce to set
- Remove chicken from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving
- Serve warm or at room temperature