Instant Pot Steak Fajitas (Carne Asada) – Amazingly tender, super flavorful beef prepared in an Instant Pot! If you’re wondering how to make steak fajitas, this easy recipe makes a tender and juicy well-seasoned carne asada steak.
The Best Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
Steak fajitas seasoned with carne asada seasoning mix that will have you coming back for me. For the seasoning, I suggest you sprinkle some of this seasoning mix onto your meat. It has everything you need to bring out the bold flavor a good carne asada mix is known for – lemon, onion, paprika, garlic, salt, chili pepper, and cumin.
We love a good well-seasoned steak here, and this is no exception, which is why I love this simple instant pot recipe, and the best part it takes minutes to prep while the instant pot does the rest. So for a perfect tender, full of flavor steak fajitas, just follow the directions as specified. Add some curry rice or Spanish rice and veggies, and you’ve got yourself a complete meal the whole family can enjoy. This recipe calls for a medley of peppers; for us, this was a blessing because I usually plant various pepper during the summer. I preserve i.e., freeze as much as possible to make it last almost through the winter months.
- Skirt Steak: You could also use flank steak or rump steak, but skirt steaks are best, hence the reason it was used in this recipe. You can also substitute chicken or shrimp or steak or leave it out altogether if you want a vegan option.
- Medium Red Bell Pepper – cut into strips
- Small or Medium Green Pepper – cut into strips
- Medium Yellow Pepper – cut into strips
- Large Red Onion – diced preferably
- Jalapeno Pepper – optional, we like ours with a bit of a kick, which is why I usually add jalapeno, but you can leave this out if it’s not your thing.
- Beef Broth – add a bit of flavor, and it helps to keep in tendering the steak and keeping it moist.
- Carne Asada Seasoning – usually consist of onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, chili pepper, ground cumin, and lemon juice. You can also use the fresh version of these ingredients, or you can opt for the easy way out and get this seasoning mix.
- Lime Juice – optional, but it adds a bit of zing to the recipe.
How To Make Steak Fajitas
- Heat Oil: Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and add in the oil.
- Season Steak. Most recipe for steak fajitas calls for skirt steak and it’s with good reason. Pat dry and rub the meat generously with your seasoning mix.
- Sear Steak: Add the skirt steak to the heated oil and brown on all sides.
- Remove Steak: Remove your steak from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
- Cook Peppers, Onions & Garlic: Add the diced onion and sliced peppers to the Instant Pot, add more oil if needed. Cook for about 2 minutes. Then, stir in the garlic and cook for about 20 more seconds.
- Deglaze: Deglaze the bottom of the Pot with beef broth while stirring. Then, add in the lime juice; bring to a simmer.
- Add Steak. Add the skirt steak and allow all the ingredients to cook together nicely.
How To Make Carne Aasada Tacos
Warm your tortillas, then load them up with carne asada and top it all off with your favorite toppings like – diced sweet onion, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, sautéed peppers, onions, and cilantro. You can also serve the leftover carne asada meat with fresh corn and yellow or white rice for lunch the next day.
More Ways To Serve Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
In a Salad:
This carne asada meat will make a perfect companion to your favorite leafy greens.
Make an authentic Mexican quesadilla by topping this steak fajitas with your favorite cheese.
Serve your steak fajitas over nachos to make an appetizer more filling, savory, and irresistible.
How To Store and Reheat Leftovers
- You can safely store leftover fajitas in an airtight container in the refrigerator and they’ll stay fresh for up to three days. If you want to store them long-term, I suggest you freeze them in a freezer sealed bag – in which case they can last up to 3 months.
- You can reheat your fajitas on the stove. Reheat in a large skillet over medium-high heat until your fajitas are hot. It should take no longer than 10-15 minutes.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- Easy Instant Pot Pasta with Meat Sauce
- The BEST Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi
Some of the kitchen gadgets Used in this Recipe
You can also follow Afropolitan Mom on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter for all the behind-the-scenes and life updates.