Melt in your mouth moist carrot cake smothered in cream cheese icing.
The first time I had a moist carrot cake was at a birthday party and at first, I thought it was an odd choice for a birthday cake but who am I to judge. Plus, I thought why would anyone want to turn a carrot into a cake, it just sounded wrong but boy was I wrong. Fast forward years later, I find myself loving it and probably would make it now for a party. If you need an excuse to make this cake, Spring is upon us and that obviously calls for a party.
Super Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Since discovering my newfound love for carrot cake, I often order it whenever I see it on the menu. Although at first, I was the only one in my family that seems to crave it, with a bit of finessing the rest of my family have slowly fallen in love.
I will be the first to tell you though, that not all carrot cake are created the same. Clearly, I have had good ones, and I have also had some really not so good ones, dry and just plain wrong. Over the years, I have learned to make them and I can tell you, I have failed at it more times than I care to admit. However, practice makes perfect and sometimes we learn a thing or two from those lessons. Oh and let me give you a little tip, the secret to a super moist carrot cake is oil, yes lots of oil.
If you want your little ones to assist you in the kitchen, have them grate the carrots or they can help you sift the flour. Another reason to love carrot cake it’s because it’s a genius way to hide vegetables from the little ones. Still not convinced, how about Carrot Cake Muffins, now I have piqued your interest. Make some and toss it in the kid’s lunch box or they can have it for breakfast.
Moist Carrot Cake w/ Cream Cheese Icing
- 5 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Olive Oil
- ¾ Cup Honey
- 2¾ Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 Tablespoons Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- ¾ Cup Chopped Pecans
- 2½ Cup Grated Carrots
- Icing Ingredients:
- 12 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1½ sticks of butter (softened)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- *Chopped Pecans and Coconut to Garnish
- Heat honey in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Cream together eggs, oil, and honey.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Mix liquid and flour mixture together.
- Add pecans & mix well.
- Add Carrots & mix well.
- Divide batter in two 8” cake pans.
- Bake on 325 Degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove cakes from oven and let cool completely.
- On a plate or cake stand, place one of the 8” cakes and add a layer of icing.
- Add the second cake layer on top and spread icing evenly.
- Garnish with pecans and coconut.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- Icing Directions:
- Combine cream cheese and butter. Mix well.
- Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Add in powdered sugar to thicken.