Happy Monday, it has been scorching hot the last couple of week which means thirsty kids. Thankfully we’re still reaping the benefit of the Strawberries we picked a few weeks ago.
Summer is strawberry season and the girls are constantly asking to schedule another trip but sadly the season has ended. It’s onto blueberry season. Sparkling Strawberry-Grapefruit Spritzer is a refreshing carbonated juice perfect to quench the hot summer thirst. Although grapefruit isn’t considered a summer fruit it’s still a nice addition to this recipe. So if you’re looking for a mocktail to add to your summer rotation you might want to give this unique combination a try. You can turn it into an adult beverage with by Vodka. My husband had his with a shot of lemon flavored voli vodka.
Sparkling Strawberry-Grapefruit Spritzer
- 12 fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 grapefruit or 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 - 33.8oz bottle of lemon-lime sparkling water, chilled
- In a medium size sauce pan, simmer strawberries and sugar over low to medium heat until sugar has melted, approximately 2-3 minutes
- Extract juice from grapefruit and set aside
- Pour strawberry and melted sugar into blender, pulse until smooth
- Strain strawberry and grapefruit juice through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds
- In a pitcher mix blended strawberry and grapefruit juice, chill thoroughly
- Just before serving, add ice and sparkling water, stir to mix
- Muddle mint in the bottom of serving glass
- Pour Sparkling Strawberry-Grapefruit Spritzer into glass and serve
- Garnish with fresh mint, if desired
Have a wonderful week and if you decide to give this a try, please come back and let me know how you like it.