Now that the egg hunt is over, if you’re wondering what to do with those leftover hard-boiled Easter eggs. You’re in luck. Turn those leftovers into Mediterranean egg salad or sandwich. It’s a simple, easy and delicious recipe, and it will come in handy now that the kids are on spring break.
Growing up, I remember my mom making egg salad; hers was relatively straightforward, boiled eggs and butter mostly; occasionally she will add other ingredients but most of the time she kept it simple.
For this recipe, I used chipotle mayonnaise and to give it an extra kick; I added Aleppo pepper. You can find Aleppo pepper is a speciality store. However, traditionally the best choice would’ve been yogurt or olive oil mayonnaise or regular mayonnaise with a splash of olive oil for good measure. To give it a bit of a crunch, I added chickpeas, red bell peppers and jalapeno pepper. Surprisingly enough, it wasn’t super spicy. I understand your reservation though if you want to leave out the jalapeno pepper. Overall, the recipe came together perfectly.
Mediterranean Egg Salad
You can have the egg salad as is or make a sandwich has seen below, and you can also turn it into an appetizer by putting it on top of crackers, cucumber, crostini, etc.
Mediterranean Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 4 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup chipotle mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp salt
- 14 tsp Aleppo pepper
- ½ cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup bell red pepper
- 1 tsp chopped Jalapeño pepper optional
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, salt and Aleppo pepper until smooth.
- Add chickpeas, bell peppers and jalapeño pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Fold in the egg, careful not to over mix. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Linking up with Orgjunkie