Imagine you’re in Paris sitting at a café, wind blowing through your hair, music playing in the background, you can hear the shuffling feet of passers-by but you couldn’t be bothered because you’re so enthralled in your Croque Madame that you hadn’t heard the waiter, “Excusez-moi, Mademoiselle”.
You wake up and it’s your husband, “the girls wants to know what you’re making for lunch?”
So yes the closest I’ve been to Paris is eating croque madame at Bar Boulud at upper west side. These days, I rarely make time to go to the theater. That’s why we travel the world through food.
Traditionally croque madame is made with ham and Gruyere cheese, but wanted to try it with something different, so I opted for chicken and Italian Sharp Cheese. If you’re a cheese connoisseur, I bet you’re wondering why I chose Italian Sharp over Fontina. Stay with me, it will make sense soon.
For starters, Stella’s Italian Sharp Cheese is in the same family as fontina and fontina is an excellent substitute for Gruyere. So technically my use of Italian Sharp isn’t off course.
Croque Madame is a fancy grill ham and cheese sandwich topped with egg over easy for the dramatic effect. It’s super easy to make and will be perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Invite a few friends over and create your own Parisian cafe, right in your backyard. The store had buy two Stella cheese products get $1.50 off coupon.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- ⅛ tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1½ cup grated Italian sharp cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- ½ lb. cooked chicken breast thinly sliced - 8 slices
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- Preheat broiler
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Slowly add flour and stir until golden.
- Whisk in milk and nutmeg until mixture begins to boil.
- Stir until sauce coats back of the spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup Italian sharp cheese and stir for about 2 minutes. Set Aside.
- On a broiler rack, place 4 slices of bread, butter side down and cover the other side with mustard
- Fold 2 slices of the chicken over the mustard and top with about 1 tablespoon of Italian cheese.
- Place in the oven for about a minute to melt
- Place the top slice of bread over the chicken, add cheese sauce and remaining Italian sharp cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Put it back under the broiler to brown.
- Remove and top with egg over easy or serve as is.
Stella Cheese is giving away a three-day, two night trip to New York City with a $500 gift card, dinner for two, and two tickets to a Broadway show. Visit Stella Cheese to enter the giveaway. The giveaway ends October 31, 2015.
Linking up with OrgJunkie for Menu Plan Monday.