This melt in your mouth Red Velvet-Peppermint Cake Roll was created by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The combination may seem like an unusual pairing but trust me it’s delicious. The peppermint adds an extra layer of sweetness and a crunchy finish. If you don’t like peppermint, Coconut is also good.
With the holiday upon, I enjoy creating memories with the girls with this easy and tasty red velvet-peppermint jelly roll cake. I challenge you to do the same. Spread some holiday cheers and while you’re at it, go ahead and invite a few friends, the more the merrier. You can offer this sweet treat as an alternative to traditional holiday cake for those who want something a bit different.
This recipe is so versatile because you can customize it various ways. I was short on time so I used Pillsbury™ radiant red cake mix. Can’t find the radiant red cake mix? Use chocolate cake mix with 2 tbsp of red food coloring. If you’ve never made a cake roll, now is your time. Don’t have a jelly-roll pan, no worries I used a cookie sheet and it worked fine. You can easily double the recipe to feed a crowd. If you need more holiday recipes ideas, coupons or tips and tricks on how to get a flaky crust, check out The Dessert Debate
Red Velvet-Peppermint Cake Roll
- 1 - 8.25 oz Pillsbury™ radiant red cake mix
- ¼ cup Crisco® pure vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1-16 oz Pillsbury™ cream cheese frosting
- Confectioner sugar for dusting
- Crushed peppermint candy for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, stir cake mix, Crisco® oil, water, and egg until moisten.
- Spray a jelly roll pan generously with baking spray, line the pan with parchment paper. Pray the parchment paper with baking spray, this helps remove the cake with ease. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or the cake springs back up when touched.
- Dust a kitchen towel with confectioner sugar. Invert the cake onto the towel and peel off the parchment. Starting from the outside, roll up the cake around the towel, leave seam-side down and let it cool completely on a rack.
- Once cool, unroll the cake, remove the towel and spread generously with cream cheese, gently roll the cake back as previously done and frost the outside. Garnish with crushed peppermint candy.
By the way, I bought my Crisco® pure vegetable oil at Stop and Shop and by using a coupon I downloaded from The Dessert Debate, I was able to save a few coins.
What is your favorite holiday recipe?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.