Disclaimer: This Strawberry Oat Scones recipe was created as part of a project for The Women Bloggers and Kendal King Group on behalf of their client.
These Strawberry Oat Scones are definitely worth waking up for. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I say, if it’s sweet and hearty then I’m all for it. Since it strawberry season, I figured why not share this Strawberry Oat Scones recipe using a secret ingredient – Nestle Gerber Cereal.
Yes, traditional. As a result, scones get a nice twist with the addition of baby cereal. Although the Nestle Gerber Cereal comes in four flavors – Oatmeal Cereal Single-Grain, Multigrain Cereal, Oatmeal & Banana Cereal, and Lil’ Bits Oatmeal Banana Strawberry. The one I used for this recipe is the Gerber Oatmeal Cereal Single-Grain, and it’s available at Walmart. You can probably use any of their cereal, and you will still end up with something yummy.
First of all, if you’ve any leftover baby cereal be sure to give this recipe a try because when you try it, you will want to make it again and again. Hiding inside the scones are a healthy dose of strawberry, while I understand that not everyone likes strawberry. You can probably make these with any in-season fruit of your choice. Sometimes, I double the recipe, and they come in handy for busy mornings. Fresh strawberries freeze well, therefore, whenever we go strawberry picking, I freeze them in zippered lock bags, so I can have some on hand as needed.
You can dig in right out of the oven. We either eat it by itself or take a page from the British and pair with a cup of tea. At the last minute, I drizzled some sugar glaze on top. As a result, we needed up with slightly sweeter scones.
Strawberry Oat Scones
Strawberry Oat Scones
[b]Strawberry Oat Scones[/b]
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Gerber oat cereal
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, diced into small pieces
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 oz. cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- [b]Egg Wash/Sugar Sprinkle[/b]
- 1 egg
- [b]Vanilla Glaze[/b]
- confectioners sugar
- vanilla extra
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, chop the strawberries and set aside
- In a large bowl mix the flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt
- Add the butter and using a fork, mash until the butter and lumps are about the size of peas
- Add the chopped strawberries and toss until well coated
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk
- Add the egg and buttermilk mixture into flour and mix until well combined
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface. Using your hand, shape the dough into a circle that’s about 7/8 inch large, using a pizza cutter, divide into 8 equal size triangles
- Transfer the scones onto your baking sheet and brush with egg for a shiny finish. Sprinkle with sugar to give it a crispy top
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oven and transfer onto a cooling rack
- Drizzle with vanilla glaze
- Serve warm and enjoy.
The Prize: One (1) person will win a $50 Gift Card
Details: Giveaway runs from June 20th through June 30th, 2016 (11:59 pm EST). Entries are open to US Residents who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. A winner will be selected within 3 days of contest end date from all eligible entries on the Rafflecopter form below. The winner will be notified via the email they have provided and have 48 hours to respond and claim their prize or a new winner will be selected.
Linking up with Orgjunkie today.