These baked coffee cake donuts are baked not fried, so they are incredibly easy to make and flavorful.
I’m a huge fan of coffee cake anything, I love how simple the flavors are, I love how easy it is to make, I love how good it pairs with a good cup of coffee, and overall I just love how good a slice of it is for a snack or indulgent breakfast. So when a friend shared with me her recipe for coffee cake donut I was head over heels in love and dying to try my hand at making them. I mean they were an actual coffee cake shaped like a donut, it can’t seriously get any better than that. Seriously.
So I went ahead and purchased one of those donut pans that you use to make cake donuts. Because in the donut pan is all the magic. You know how with traditional donuts you use yeast and a cookie cutter and then just deep fry them? Well with these coffee cake donuts the process is a bit different. Instead of going with the cookie cutter route you make a thick batter and then pour it into the donut pan and then just bake for a couple of minutes.
The baking is also really quick and only takes a couple of minutes so definitely keep your eyes on your oven because you don’t want to overbake them (they don’t end up tasting that good if you bake them for 5 minutes too long).
Once they are done, you can have them as is because they are already pretty flavorful and tasty on their own or if you are feeling like going the extra mile you can drizzle them with a bit of glaze (which is basically confectioners sugar, a bit of milk and some vanilla).
Baked Coffee Cake Donuts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups all purposed flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup regular sugar
- 1 tbsp ground hazelnut
- pinch of salt
For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, vanilla extract, eggs, and sour cream.
- In another bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, regular sugar, salt, and hazelnut.
- Slowly pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture while stirring. Stir until no lumps are left.
- Grease a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the donut pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While baking, mix the glaze ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Once the donuts are done, remove from the oven and cool down at room temperature.
- Top the donuts with a thin layer of the glaze and if desired cover with cake crumbs.
- Serve and enjoy.
Pin it for later