Punxsutawney Phil didn’t see his shadow which means spring is around the corner, so time to update your living room with imagination and creativity. Start with a fun activity by “going shopping” in your home. You’ll be surprised at what you have stored away in your home. For example, old flower vases, plates and picture frames look beautiful when refinished or spray painted. Check for old items stored away in your basement, closet or attic and make these old items into new works of art.
Update Your Living Room
- Add a touch of paint. Painting is one of the easiest and low-cost ways to update your living room. Use three different colors of paint to add drama and definition. A dark color such as chocolate-brown on one wall adds depth, making the room appear larger. Use a lighter contrasting color on your other walls for a dramatic effect. Use the third color to paint window casings, sills, and borders on doors.
- Add a throw pillow. Add or change your existing throw pillows into new ones with inexpensive bold fabric. Can’t sew, not a problem. You can find inexpensive throw pillow online with no problem. Hell-bent on creating your own, wrap fabric around each pillow and tie it in the back, making sure to turn ends under and you’ll have new pillows in no time.
- Bring in a throw rug. Throw rugs add color and drama to a living room. Keep an eye out for sales, or clean and freshen up that old throw rug you stored in the basement.
- Adorn your space with wall arts. Make a beautiful picture with fabric. Cover an old piece of canvas or similar type structure with an attractive piece of fabric and hang it on a wall in your living room. Your guest will think you’ve purchased an expensive piece of art.
- Bring the outside in. Adding a plant is an inexpensive and beautiful way to bring life and color to a living room. Plants also have a way of creating a welcoming atmosphere in a room. One large plant in a corner of your living room with a few smaller ones scattered in different places is all you need to give your living room a fresh look.
- Creates the illusion of depth by adding a mirror. A large mirror or several smaller mirrors aesthetically arranged adds definition and makes the room appear larger.
- Incorporate light fixtures. Inexpensive lighting fixtures can change the look of a room. If you’re on a budget, reinvent old lighting fixtures by spray painting it or by switching out the cover.
- Install crown molding. Crown molding? Aren’t those expensive. Not necessarily, peel and stick crown molding are inexpensive and looks like the real thing. It can also be painted to coordinate with the colors in your living room.
- Add texture and pattern with fabric. This can be in the form of slipcover. Slipcovers are an easy and inexpensive way to change the look of an existing couch and cost much less than purchasing a new one.
- Refinish old furniture. Instead of buying a new coffee and end tables, paint or refinish existing ones to give it a new or different look.